Stronghold Łomża were built from 1896 till 1914 as the protection of areas bordering with the East Prussia, the crossing over Narew and Łomża - ówcześnie of the capital of the province by whom they ran important communications trails.
Łomża was supposed to become one of points of the extensive sortie area concluded between lines: Modlin-Warszawa-Dęblin; Dęblin-linia Wieprza-Płock- Włodawa and to Modlin-Zegrze-Pułtusk-Różan-Ostrołęka-Łomża-Osowiec.
The project of construction of the stronghold came into existence already in 1887. Embankments were built as the circular stronghold.
Before official beginning works, already in 1889, they built on the Narwi left bank (on the side of Łomża) two earth redoubts with wooden bunkers (the IV Fort and the V Fort).
In 1896 they set three earth forts about building on an opposite river bank (on the side Piątnicy). They were these are forts and, II, III. Szyjowe later extended against forts and przeciwskarpy built according to the pattern Gen. Wieliczka from 1897.
Forts and, II, III created 1.5 km altogether the constant fortification in the distance from the crossing. The right end leaned against bogs and riverside bogs, tricks whereas against very river.
In 1914 forts made the stronghold up:
* And, II, III - on a right river bank from the east west,
* IV, V - on a left river bank.
Tłumaczenie wykonano przy pomocy systemu translacyjnego firmy POLENG.